Sunday, January 4, 2009

Obama acceptance speech virus

As we near the days of getting closer to seeing the first African American get sworn into office at the inauguration on Jan 20th please be aware as email viruses will be more and more on the rise. I received an email warning about this and it has been verified by snopes otherwise I wouldn’t even be mentioning it here.

Don’t open any emails with the subject line of:
Obama acceptance speech
Amazing speech by Obama
World welcomes Obama’s win

These messages may appear to be from legitimate news sources and will try to trick you into clicking on a link that will lead you to a malicious website, or infected link with a Trojan horse attachment to make attempts to try and steal your logins and passwords.

If you see any email of this sort delete it immediately. I don’t open emails of these types of headlines anyways because they always make me skeptical. I do get emails from Barack Obama’s website from time to time though. Just thought I would mention this as I find it to be very important as I know people will be more and more excited and curious to hear, read, watch Obama’s acceptance speech, be careful of the links you click and to be safe don’t open any emails of this sort, just delete them.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/obamaspeech.asp

11 comments:

Stephen said...

Thanks for your sharing. We will be more cautious.

Kathie Graham said...

That is so goofed up, that people would take advantage of each other like that... Arggh!

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog at mytake.stayathomemama.info. See you around! :)

Naye said...

Stephen, you're welcome just thought I would share for everyone to be cautious of such things.

Kgraham, it is very goofed, but sadly some will fall into the trap. Thanks for stopping by I will be seeing you around!!

Davida said...

Oh, my! I hadn't heard about this. I get emails from the Obama website, so I would have thought it was legit. Thanks for letting us know.

I'm not sure if I wished you a "Happy New Year!" yet.

Davida

Naye said...

attygnorris, yeah when I first saw it I was like okay sure and I clicked nothing from within the email I just went to straight to snopes and by golly there it was. Thanks for stopping by and I think you wished me over at yours as well so thanks!!

Michie said...

I'm happy I read your post cause I sure would have opened one that said something of the such.

I am so excited about Jan. 20th, I feel like this is the beginning of a beautiful future.

Naye said...

Mom's Mind, I know kinda scary isn't it? Internet hackers seem to be getting more cleaver by the day's and word's can't even express my excitement for Jan 20th I'm looking forward.

Anonymous said...

I already got one of these emails but I just quickly deleted it.

I don't really read emails when I don't know who the sender was.

I hate spams especially emails that send out malware. People who do that can just go to... wherever they like.

:)

Thank you for sharing this, by the way.

Naye said...

Mj Ces, Yeah I hate spam emails as well, but some people just love to pass on those chain emails and they drive me nut's. I can't help but ignore them even when I know the sender sometimes I just be like please stop sending me this as I'm not going to forward it, I have to give some credit though this time as this one is bogus and still unheard of to some.

Anonymous said...

Dropping by from sits. Happy Sunday! Sad that some idiot has to exploit a memorable day or event.

Naye said...

Ms. Cupcake, thanks for stopping by, I agree it is very sad indeed...