Saturday, July 31, 2010

Giving home canning and preserving a try

I really think I have a new hobby and I'm enjoying it! It all started last year when I first gave backyard gardening a try. It didn't turn out very well, but it was indeed a learning experience, nonetheless. I figured out some, do's, don't's, spacing and etc... There is just no better tasting vegetables than freshly grown veggies. We go to the farmers market often. I am absolutely in love with tomatoes and will bite into them and eat them just as I would a apple. Not the one's from the grocery, but the one's from the farmer's market & now hopefully as I begin to harvest them from my own small backyard garden this year, yummy!!! They are so delicious!!!


So, after taking much liking into gardening, what comes next? Learning how to enjoy those fresh flavors all year long. With that being said I went and purchased me some supplies so that I can do my own canning and preserving at home. I have to get a few more things and I shall soon be on my way, yay!!! I already made my first batch of pickles from the cucumbers in my garden. Needless to say they didn't even last a week. We were so shocked at how great they turned out. I plan on making a few batches this week and at least two of the jars I'm hoping to keep sealed for 2 weeks without getting eaten, lol!! I know I won't have a large harvest, so I do plan on steady shopping with the local farmer's to help me get a nice stock.


This is tasty & enjoyment all put together, not to mention learning!! I can't wait to try out some of the recipes I've been finding and share them with my family!

No comments: